Details for Reserving Outpost Campsites
at Gulf State Park
- Reservations can be made 7 days a week from 8am to 5 pm. The call center will take messages after hours or if all lines are busy and we will return calls as soon as possible. (State offices are closed for Thanksgiving and Christmas) 251 948 7275.
- You must check in at the Campground Main Office on State Park Road 2 before going to your campsite.
- Reservations can be made on more than 1 year prior to the arrival date.
- First night’s rent plus tax will be charged to your provided credit card upon reservations and is nonrefundable. In the event you need to change your reservations arrival dates, we will allow this to happen one time. After the first time we will retain your deposit.
- There is a 2 night minimum stay on all bookings during festivals, special events and holiday weekends. All 2 nights plus tax will be charged upon reservations and is non refundable. All reservations are also charged a one-time $3 transaction fee.
- There is a $2 campground entry fee except for park guests. This pass allows you to enter the beach Pavilion and Picnic Area at Lake Shelby without paying additional.
- Each campsite will be allowed two car passes. Any additional guests are welcome to visit from sunrise to sunset and must pay the entrance fee. No one will be allowed to enter the campground after sunset.
- You will receive a camping card as well which must be placed in the proper clip for your site. Law Enforcement will be coming by the area several times a day and evening.
- Campfires are allowed at the Backcountry Sites but must be monitored and put out completely at the end of your evening and stay with the park. Guest are responsible for their own fire pits.
- This is not a maintained facility and all trash that is brought in MUST be brought out. You must leave the site as it was found or your credit card will be charged for damages the cost of expenses. Make sure to close off tent entrances and windows when you leave and put cots back where they were found inside the tent.
- Report any issues or damages with your tent immediately upon arrival if you notice anything 251 948 7275 and email Gulf State Park.
- Please be considerate of your fellow Outpost Guests and keep talking noise, music, etc. at a minimum. This area is patrolled during the day and evening and you will be evicted without a refund if we receive complaints.
- Each campsite will have a tent already on the site that we allow 4-guest max per site. If you have children and want to do an additional small tent then you can do so for no extra charge and there can be 6 people max per site. If you have adults and want to do an additional tent, the max is till 6 people per site total but adults would have to pay an additional $15 for the extra tent.
- The maximum length of stay per site is 7 nights.
- The Outpost has a sink that can be used to wash dishes and provide water. We feel that the water is clean, but we cannot guarantee it is drinkable water.
- You are welcome to use the bathhouses and the pool and facilities inside the campground. For more information visit the website at www.alapark.com.
The map of the campground, the park and the Backcountry Trail are all on the website and available when you check in. You are welcome to park at any of these locations to back pack in, the closest of course is Cotton Bayou Trailhead. NO CARS ARE ALLOWED ON THE TRAIL AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON.
Distances from Trailheads
- Cotton Bayou Trailhead on Hwy 161 > 1.0 miles
- Rosemary Dunes Trailhead on Beach Road > 2.3 miles
- Catman Trailhead on Hwy 161 > 1.3 miles
- Rattlesnake Ridge Trailhead on Hwy 161 – located near Orange Beach City Hall > 2.25 miles
- Gulf Oak Ridge Trailhead on State Park Road 2 > 4.2 miles
- Closest Bathroom > 3/10 miles on Rosemary Dunes and Catman Road Trail Intersection
- Closest Bathhouse > 1.8 miles inside campground at the end of Opossum.
All senior citizens (62+) and 100% disabled persons are eligible for a 15% discount on camping fees Sunday through Thursday from March to October, and all nights from November to March. Proof of age or disability is required. Discounts are not available in conjunction with group rates, special packages or other discounts. Discounts are not valid on weekly or monthly rates, or on holiday weekends. Discounts must be mentioned prior to reservations completion.
If you have any additional questions or need to reach anyone at the park please contact our main office at 251 948 7275 or email us at Gulf Campground. For more information about the park and our events you can visit our website at www.alapark.com.
In the event of an emergency please contact 911 and let them know you are a the Cotton Bayou Outpost inside the State Park on the Cotton Bayou Trail. Thank you for visiting and supporting both Gulf State Park and the Backcountry Trail Foundation. We hope you enjoyed your experience and loo forward to seeing you again.